I recently re-watched “Prometheus“, the movie. It was a “non-prequel” to the hit “Alien” movie franchise. Like many, (humourously here with adult language) I was left with more questions than answers. Sadly, some of those questions appear to concern plot-holes, or at least plot-weaknesses. However, I will suspend judgement until I see the sequel to the non-prequel and hope all will become clear.
Perhaps, in trying to make my own writing plot-hole free, I am over-judgmental. But it did start me asking a few more “Why?” questions. Not the big ones – “why are we here”, “why death”, “why torn menisci in the knee”, “why does [substitute your own candidate] still breathe” – but the little ones that niggle every day, like these…
- Why do I have to push the gear-stick forward to go backwards in an automatic car?
- Why did I buy a VW Golf just before the emissions scandal broke?
- Why is every household appliance now so complicated it needs an inch-thick user manual?
- Why, as “Plug-and-Play” was introduced commercially by Microsoft in 1995, does nothing actually plug-and-play 20 years later?
- Why are there so many sink-holes suddenly appearing globally in recent years? What are “THEY” not telling us?
- Why not shoot first? (Star wars reference)
- Why, if the One Ring makes Sauron invincible, does a man with a sword defeat him and steal/capture/liberate the Ring for Smeagol to find?
- Why does every successful TV sci-fi series start with (mostly) one-off episodes, then build a vast conspiracy theme for the second or third series and get immediately cancelled?
- Why don’t TV sci-fi writers learn (see above)?
- Why does a USB plug never fit first time or (after turning over) on the second attempt, but it DOES work after turning it over again and re-inserting as per the first attempt?
I could go on.
Of course, the worst “Why?” is the one from a child. Intuitive Zen Masters at birth, the question “Why is blue?” is a killer. Forget wavelengths and optics, that question is an existentialist nightmare.
To sign off, here’s a site (with adult language) that tries to explain all the “Prometheus” whys.
What are your most niggling “whys”?